I found this stunning Peruvian causa recipe on veggiebellie.com and thought this would be a perfect salad, with a couple tweaks, for Memorial Day. The colors are so vibrant and the taste is sensational with lots of lime and garlic in the potatoes, and a red pepper and celery salad with green olives. A causa is anything layered with mashed potatoes. So this will not be a causa, strickly speaking, as I’m going to do the layers in a trifle bowl of clear glass with sliced purple and white potatoes instead of mashed potatoes, top it with a layer of roasted red pepper salad and dress it with a Spanish sherry vinegar and avocado oil vinaigrette.
Purple and blue potatoes are the latest trend in designer veggies but they’ve been around for decades in Peru and Chile. Jamie Oliver’s recipe for purple potato salad incorporates sour cream or creme fraiche but it muddles the colors of the potatoes and radishes, though its very tasty and comforting. Another lovely veggie is the purple cauliflower (Cafe Liz photo) and it too makes a fabulous salad with fresh asparagus, yellow summer squash, red peppers, ripe olives, fresh dill and a Spanish sherry vinegar vinaigrette. Photo from Sunset.
Grilled country style ribs, corn on the cob, and strawberry shortcake will complete the menu. Be sure to take flowers to the cemetary on this national day of remembrance.
- 2 lb blue or purple potatoes, steamed until tender
- 2 lb new potatoes, steamed until tender
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lime
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- fresh cracked black pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- 1 jar roasted red bell peppers, diced
- 2 ribs celery, diced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup stuffed green olives, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro or curly parsley
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 Tbsp Spanish sherry vinegar
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil (or olive oil)
- Peel potatoes, slice in half lengthwise, then slice half-moons no more than 1/2 inch thick
- Whisk together oil, lime juice, garlic, cracked pepper and salt.
- Toss purple potatoes with half the oil mixture. Layer into bottom of the glass bowl.
- Toss new potatoes with remaining oil mixture. Layer on top of purple potatoes.
- Combine remaining ingredients in a bowl. Spoon on top of white potatoes.
- Cover and refrigerate until serving time.