It was 92° F. in Las Vegas today. Way to hot to cook and definitely time to clean out the refrigerator. So here’s my version of a veggie sandwich that turned out so big I ate half for lunch and half for dinner. Watched cooking videos all afternoon, took a nap and twittered. Never thought a veggie thing would fill me up like that. This would make a great sandwich for a picnic.
I baked an Italian rustic bread on Friday and it was perfect for this sandwich. The hummus was a snap to make in food processor with just a can of garbonzo beans, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, hot sauce and salt. The tapenade was made with leftover Greek olives, leftover capers, leftover chopped onion, a can of anchovies, leftover dried raspberries, a dab of mayo and some parsley. Slice the goats cheese with dental floss rather than a knife. Salt and pepper the tomato, cucumber and avocado once layered on the hummus.
- 2 slices of rustic Italian bread
- 2 Tbsp of homemade hummus with garlic and lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp of homemade black olive tapenade with anchovies and capers and dried raspberries with 1 tsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes sliced
- 2 large red radishes sliced
- 1/2 cucumber sliced
- 2 oz of goats cheese sliced
- handful of baby greens